Wednesday, December 3, 2014

My Last Day

Wednesday, December 5th, was my last day student teaching. I didn't realize that it would be so hard to leave. I feel so emotionally invested in the students and have loved watching them grow and learn. They really are like sponges (especially the younger students) and most enjoy the learning process.

I just introduced a new collaborative group mural project in the Post Impressionist style of Pointillism. The beginning art high school students are all painting one 4 in. x 4 in. wooden block with Q-tips (to make the uniform dots) and acrylic paint in this layering of pure color, dot art style. The trick to this technique is that they human eye does the color blending, so a yellow and blue dot close together will look green. This is not easy to do.

I did not realize how much work goes into a large mural and I spent 8-10 extra hours prepping for this project. The final project will be permanently displayed in the art room. The most difficult challenge with this project was getting students to only use primary and secondary colors and getting them to work up from lighter to darker colors in layers of dots. Students are pre-conditioned to get work done quickly and not put a lot of effort into it. I'm constantly reminding them, "it is not a race" and "hard work takes time". The original artist actually worked on this piece for 2 whole years! I like how this project is teaching the students patience!





At the elementary level, students are working on ceramic projects. They are making bells and ornaments by hollowing out spheres, scoring and using slip (a muddy clay water used as glue) to join the pieces.


No comments:

Post a Comment